The scales are equipped with an RS-232 interface and can be connected to a PC for data acquisition (if necessary via an adapter from RS-232 to USB). They are known as “Everest EK/EW compact balances” in the US.
Applications such as the following can be used to capture the weight:
- Simple Data Logger (writes the weight to a file with date and time),
- 232key (enters the weight as simulated keystrokes directly into another application),
- WinCT (a collection of 3 applications from A&D),
- any terminal software (useful for testing data transmission).
Data transmission modes
EK-i and EW-i scales support the following transmission modes:
- Prt 0 – stream mode: continuous transmission of weight with approx. 10 values/s,
- Prt 1 – PRINT key (default setting): transmission when pressing the PRINT key on the scale,
- Prt 2 – auto-print A (positive values only): automatic single transmission when the weight is stable (return to zero required before next transmission),
- Prt 3 – auto-print B (positive and negative values): automatic single transmission when the weight is stable (return to zero required before next transmission),
- Prt 4 – command mode only: request-response mode, the computer sends a command to the scale and it responds with the weight value.
- The display flashes briefly (in Prt 1, 2 and 3) to confirm the data output.
- Commands from a connected computer can be sent in all modes.
- The PRINT key is active in all modes except Prt 4.
- There is no interval mode. If you want to capture the weight in certain intervals (e.g every minute), you need a software that supports polling with a timer (or you could set the scale to stream mode and discard most values).
These data output modes can be found in the Func class of the scales’ menu:
Changing the transmission mode
- Turn on the scale.
- Press and hold the SAMPLE key until the scale displays “P-3.00” (or a similar value). The scale shows “Func” next.
- Press the PRINT key to enter the function settings menu. The first setting “PoFF” is displayed.
- Press the SAMPLE key 8 times to enter the “Prt” setting. By default, “Prt 1” is set.
- Set “Prt” to the desired value by pressing the RE-ZERO key (see description above).
- Confirm the setting with PRINT. The balance displays “End” briefly and then “CP Hi”.
- Restart the scale by pressing the MODE key.