Making an electronic hive scale can be harder than you think
Hive scales for use by beekeepers are a niche market; moreover, they must meet a number of special requirements, such as:
- Must withstand long-term outdoor use (protection against rain, moisture/dust, very low and high temperatures, possibly theft/vandalism, wild animals etc.).
- Must weigh accurately under challenging conditions (temperature fluctuations, vibrations caused by wind).
- Must support a heavy load over a long period of time while still registering small weight changes.
- Must be able to transmit weight data (often over long distances).
- Must have low power consumption (for off-grid installations).
It is therefore unsurprising that no major scale manufacturer offers a hive scale and that commercially available scales from specialized manufacturers can be quite expensive.
List of hive scales available in Europe
The following list contains all beehive scales available in Europe that we currently know of (both commercial and open source / DIY projects). Websites with descriptions in English and with recent updates were highlighted:
- 4Bees – Imkereibedarf (Mag. Dieter Metzler, DIY project, in German only)
- Apis Technology
- Bee Hive Monitoring (Save the bees s.r.o)
- BeeAndMe (BeeAnd.me GmbH, in German only)
- BeeBrother (Dr. Stefan Saam, in German only)
- BEEP (Open source project from the Beep Foundation, previous Kickstarter campaign can be found here)
- Beelogger (DIY, in German only)
- BeeSaver (BeeSaver GmbH, in German only)
- BeeWatch (Biene & Natur GmbH)
- Capaz Bienenwaage (CAPAZ GmbH, in German only)
- Easyhive (easyhive UG, in German only)
- Hiveeyes (Open source project, active community but mostly in German)
- Honigreporter (Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Christoph Nissl, in German only)
- HoneyPi (DIY project based on the Raspberry Pi, partially in English)
- Imker-stockwaage.de (DIY project, in German only)
- Livelco (Livelco sp. z o.o.)
- Operchip s.r.o. (partially in English)
- Penso Bienenstockwägesystem (Emsystech Engineering, in German only)
- SMS Čebelar (in Slowenian only)
- The Internet of Bees: Adding Sensors to Monitor Hive Health (Make Magazine project from 2015)
- WE GRO Engineering (in German only)
- Wolf Waagen (Wilhelm Wolf e.K.)
- XLOG bee (Micro El d.o.o.)
We would be happy to receive links to other products and projects in the comments.